- 1¾ cups lower-sodium vegetable broth
- ¾ cup quick-cooking barley
- ½ cup small broccoli florets
- ½ cup ( ½ inch) pieces zucchini
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Heat broth in a medium saucepan to boiling. Stir in barley; return to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes.
- 2Add broccoli, zucchini, and bell pepper. Return to boiling and cook, covered, for 3 minutes more or until the barley and vegetables are tender.
- 3 Remove from heat and stir in chives and lemon peel. If desired, sprinkle each serving with some of the Parmesan