These omelets are chock-full of a fresh vegetable salsa, made with tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and fragrant herbs. Make the salsa ahead and your breakfast will be ready even sooner!”
- 1⅓ cups coarsely chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped, seeded cucumber
- ½ of a ripe avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup coarsely chopped red onion (1 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1For salsa, in a medium bowl stir together tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, onion, garlic, parsley, vinegar and 1 teaspoon of the oil. Set aside (see Tip).
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg product, the water, oregano, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. For each omelet, in an 8-inch nonstick skillet heat ½ teaspoon of the remaining oil over medium heat. Add ½ cup of the egg mixture to skillet. Stir eggs with a spatula until mixture resembles cooked egg pieces surrounded by liquid. Stop stirring, but continue cooking until egg is set. Spoon ⅓ cup of the salsa over one side of the cooked egg mixture. Remove from skillet; fold omelet over the filling. Repeat to make four omelets total.
- 3Serve each omelet with one-fourth of the remaining salsa. Sprinkle each omelet with 1 tablespoon of the feta cheese.