Summer squash, broccoli, and tomatoes are tossed with dressing and put in a hummus-lined pita for this vegetarian sandwich recipe.”
- 1 cup chopped yellow summer squash and/or zucchini
- ¾ cup chopped broccoli
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about ⅔ cup)
- 8 pitted kalamata or ripe olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley or regular parsley
- 2 tablespoons bottled fat-free Italian salad dressing
- whole-wheat pita bread rounds, halved crosswise, or four 6- to 7-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas
- ½ cup Spicy Hummus
- Spicy Hummus:
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy or cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup bottled fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1In a medium bowl, combine squash, broccoli, tomatoes, olives, and parsley; toss with salad dressing. Divide among six airtight storage containers or resealable plastic bags. Cover or seal and chill overnight.
- 2To prepare the hummus: In a food processor, combine navy or cannellini beans (white kidney beans); Italian salad dressing; and brown mustard. Cover and process until smooth and spreadable. (Or mash beans with a potato masher or fork. Stir in salad dressing and mustard.) Transfer to an airtight storage container. Cover and chill for up to 1 week.
- 3Spread the inside of each pita bread half or each tortilla with 2 tablespoons of the Spicy Hummus. If using tortillas, fold each in half. Wrap pita bread or tortillas in plastic wrap or place each in a covered storage container.
- 4For each serving, pack a container with vegetable mixture and a pita or tortilla in an insulated container with an ice pack. Serve within 5 hours.
- 5To serve, unfold tortilla if using. Add vegetable mixture to pita or tortilla. Fold or roll tortilla if using. Makes 4 pita pockets.