You don’t need a panini press to enjoy these easy chicken salad panini sandwiches.”
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
- ⅓ cup fennel, finely chopped
- 8 slices very thinly sliced whole wheat bread
- ¾ cup arugula or spinach leaves
- ¾ cup bottled roasted red peppers, drained and cut into thin strips
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese (3 ounces total)
- 1 Olive oil or nonstick cooking spray
- 1In a medium bowl combine mayonnaise, vinegar and garlic. Add chicken and fennel and stir until well combined. Spoon chicken mixture evenly atop 4 of the bread slices, spreading to an even layer atop the bread. Top with arugula, pepper strips and cheese. Top with remaining bread slices.
- 2Lightly coat an unheated panini griddle, covered indoor electric grill or large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat or according to manufacturer’s directions.
- 3Place assembled sandwiches on griddle, grill or skillet, adding in batches if necessary. If using griddle or grill, close lid and grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until bread is toasted. (If using skillet, place a heavy saucepan or skillet on top of sandwiches. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bottoms are toasted. Carefully remove saucepan or top skillet (it may be hot). Turn sandwiches; top again with the saucepan or skillet. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until bread is toasted.)
- 4Cut sandwiches in half and serve warm.