For a fast-paced breakfast on the go, give your blender a whirl. Heart disease doesn’t stand a chance thanks to the healthy fats from the almond butter and health-boosting phytonutrients in the cocoa powder and cherries in this tasty breakfast smoothie.”
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
- 5.3 to 6-ounce carton vanilla fat-free Greek yogurt
- ½ medium banana (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Dark chocolate shavings, chocolate-covered espresso beans (optional)
- 1In a blender combine the cherries, almond milk, Greek yogurt, banana, cocoa powder, almond butter, espresso coffee powder and vanilla. Cover and blend until smooth. Add ice cubes; cover and blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and if desired, top with chocolate shavings, chocolate-covered espresso beans and/or additional banana slices (see Tip).
- Tips: Peel remaining banana half, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then in foil. Freeze for a later use.
- If you prefer, divide the ice cubes between two tall glasses instead of blending the ice with the smoothie. To serve, pour smoothie over the ice cubes.
- Variation: This recipe easily doubles to make four servings. Make the full recipe at once, then pour into mason jars with tight fitting lids. Store in the freezer. The night before serving, transfer jar to the fridge to thaw.