It’s easy to make this coffeehouse drink at home in under 15 minutes—all you need is black tea, milk and spices!”
- ½ cup water
- 1 black tea bag, such as orange pekoe, English breakfast, Lapsang souchong, or Darjeeling
- 1 (3 inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1In a small saucepan combine water, tea bag, and cinnamon stick. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove and discard tea bag and cinnamon stick.
- 2Stir the milk, sugar, vanilla, ginger, and cardamom into the tea. Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture is heated through (do not boil). To serve, pour hot mixture into warm mugs.
- Variation: Chocolate Chai: Prepare as above, except stir 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder in with the milk and spices. Heat through. Serve with whipped cream. If desired, sprinkle with ground nutmeg. Nutrition Facts Per 10-ounce serving: 212 cal. 8 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 29 mg chol., 127 mg sodium, 26 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 9 g pro. Daily Value: 12% vit. A, 4% vit. C, 33% calcium, 3% iron Exchanges: 1 milk, 1 other carb, 1½ fat