When edible seeds or beans, such as kidney beans, lentils, mung beans, soybeans, etc., are allowed to moisten and germinate further, they become sprouts. One prime reason why sprouts are considered so healthy is that upon sprouting, the nutrient value of a seed increases multiple times, thereby making it a very healthy option as part of any meal. Once a seed is left to sprout, using only water and oxygen, it undergoes the following important processes:
- the complex fats are broken down
- starch is converted into simple sugars
- proteins are broken down into amino acids
- minerals are transferred to different parts of the seed
- new nutrients are created in the process of sprouting and breakdown
As we delve into the depths of the nutritional value of sprouts, you will become aware, as to why it is so important to incorporate them in your daily diet.
|Sprouts Nutrients (per 100g)||Kidney Bean Sprouts||Lentil Sprouts||Mung Bean Sprouts||Soybean Sprouts||Pea Sprouts||Alfalfa Sprouts|
|Vitamin A||2 IU||45 IU||21 IU||11 IU||166 IU||155 IU|
These nutrition facts are sure to make you head for a healthy sprout salad. Still not convinced? Take a look at the health benefits of eating sprouts.
- They aid digestion and are a perfect example of raw foods that should be included in your diet.
- A salad that contains sprouts is richer in nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and fiber than in any ordinary green salad.
- They are extremely rich in proteins and amino acids.
- They are ideal for those aiming for weight loss, as they are low in calories.
- They are rich in antioxidants that are essential in preventing several dangerous health problems including cancer.
- They are completely organic and do not contain any toxins, and are abundant in vitamins, minerals, and enzymes.
- Sprouts do not contain any cholesterol, yet, they provide the body with important fatty acids.
- They provide more nutrition, mainly protein than meat and dairy products, and produce no side effects.
- The nutritional value of sprouts further increases when exposed to sunlight, as it becomes enriched in chlorophyll.
What are you waiting for? With all this information, ensure you include at least one portion of sprouts in your daily diet, to be able to live a long and healthy life!