- ½ cup packed brown sugar (see Tip)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, port wine, or grape juice
- 5 cups seedless red grapes, halved (about 2 pounds)
- 1½ cups frozen or fresh red raspberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup white whole-wheat flour or whole-wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup 60-70% tub-style vegetable oil spread, chilled
- 3-4 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water, room temperature
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil; set aside. For filling, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and vinegar (or port wine or grape juice) in a 4-quart pot. Add grapes. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in raspberries. Transfer the filling to a 9½-inch deep-dish pie pan. Place the pie pan on the prepared baking sheet.
- 2Stir together both flours and salt in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in chilled vegetable oil spread until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push the moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening the flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened. Form the dough into a ball.
- 3Use your hands to slightly flatten the dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough from the center to the edges to a ⅛-inch thickness. Using a 1½- to 2-inch leaf-shape cookie cutter, cut out the dough, leaving as little space between cutouts as possible. Arrange the leaf cutouts atop the grape filling. (If desired, reroll and cut out the pastry scraps.)
- 4Use a fork to beat together egg white and the 1 tablespoon room temperature water. Brush the pastry cutouts lightly with the egg white mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- Tip: If using a sugar substitute, we recommend Splenda Brown Sugar Baking Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to ½ cup brown sugar. Nutrition Per Serving with Substitute: Same as below, except 176 cal., 125 mg sodium, 30 g carb. Exchanges: .5 other carb. Carb Choices: 2.
- Equipment: 9½-inch deep-dish pie pan, 1½- to 2-inch leaf-shape cookie cutter