For the best vegan chicken nuggets, skip the store and try these homemade baked vegan nuggets instead. Seitan, often called “wheat meat,” makes a surprisingly meat-like vegan stand-in for chicken in these crispy breaded tenders. You can make this easy recipe with store-bought or homemade seitan (see associated recipe). Serve them up with your favorite vegan dipping sauce.”
- 16 ounces seitan
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 6 teaspoons water
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¾ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire cooling rack on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- 2Slice seitan into 16 ( ½ inch) nuggets.
- 3Whisk mayonnaise, water and poultry seasoning in a pie plate. Place breadcrumbs in another shallow plate. Dredge the seitan pieces in the mayonnaise mixture, then in the breadcrumbs. Coat both sides with cooking spray and place on the prepared rack. Bake, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides, 18 to 20 minutes.