The homemade dough used in this recipe is flavored with apricots, almonds, honey and a touch of aromatic cardamom.”
- 1 recipe Basic Dough (see associated recipe)
- ⅓ cup finely snipped dried apricots
- ⅓ cup chopped slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil spread, melted
- 1Prepare Basic Dough as directed, except in Step 2, stir in apricots, almonds, honey, and cardamom with the salt.
- 2Lightly grease two large baking sheets; set aside. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to a 12×12-inch square. Cut dough into twelve 1-inch-wide strips. Working with one strip at time, fold strip in half and twist the two halves in the middle, forming a ribbon shape. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strips, placing 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
- 3Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Lightly brush twists with melted spread. Remove twists from baking sheets. Cool slightly on wire racks; serve warm.